The winter holiday season calls for joyous celebrations with friends and family. Preparing a festive yet healthy meal can sometimes be a challenge, but with a little planning you can serve attractive dishes that are delicious as well as nutritious.
Here are some ideas for a healthy appetizer, a main dish and dessert that are sure to keep your holidays festive.
- Crab Stuffed Mushroom Appetizer
This tasty appetizer is a perfect start to a holiday meal.
- 2 Portobello mushroom caps with stems removed, wiped clean
- 8 ounces fresh lump crabmeat
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons of mayonnaise
- ¼ cup scallions, chopped
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/8 teaspoon paprika
- ¼ teaspoon fresh black pepper
- Olive oil cooking spray
- Set the broiler temperature to high and preheat. Set the oven rack at the center of the oven and line a baking sheet with foil.
- Spray mushroom caps with olive oil cooking spray on both sides and broil on high heat, 5 minutes per side until just tender. Place crab in a medium bowl and remove any pieces of shell.
- Add cheese, mayonnaise, scallions, thyme, and black pepper and combine well with a fork.
- Drain mushroom caps on paper towels and fill with the crab mixture. Sprinkle with paprika.
- Broil for 2-3 minutes until golden brown.
- Gorgeous Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Pomegranate Seeds
This colorful side dish with hazelnuts, pomegranate and Brussels sprouts is a treat for the eye as well as the palate.
- 1 ¼ lbs. of Brussels sprouts halved
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- Seeds of 1 fresh pomegranate
- ½ cup of coarsely chopped toasted hazelnuts
- 3 tablespoons of organic honey
- 1 tablespoon of finely grated orange zest
- Finely grated zest of 1 lime
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- Kosher salt to taste
- Set the oven to 365 degrees and preheat.
- Toss the Brussels sprouts with olive oil and season to taste with salt and pepper. Place on a medium roasting pan. Roast until golden brown for around 45 minutes. Check to see if they are done by inserting a fork in the center to test.
- Transfer the Brussels sprouts into a large bowl. Add honey, pomegranate seeds, hazelnuts, orange and lime zest. Season with Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper to taste.
- Individual Miniature Pumpkin Pies
This fast and easy pumpkin pie recipe is full of nutritious ingredients and makes a beautiful presentation to end a holiday meal.
- 29 oz of fresh pumpkin, pureed, or 1 can of pumpkin puree
- 3 large eggs
- 1 ½ teaspoons of pumpkin pie spice
- 1 teaspoon natural organic agave
- ¾ cup of 2 percent plain Greek yogurt
- 1 can of non-GMO soy OR almond milk
- ¼ cup of pure maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon of pure vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Coat a 12 cup nonstick muffin pan with a little coconut oil.
- Whisk eggs in a large bowl and stir in the pumpkin, milk, pumpkin pie spice, vanilla extract and agave. Pour into muffin cups evenly, and bake until the sides set and the centers jiggle slightly, around 30 – to 35 minutes.
- Stir maple syrup into yogurt and chill. Let the individual pumpkin pies set for 10 to 15 minutes before removing from pan. Use a spatula to remove. Top each miniature pumpkin pie with a dollop of maple syrup flavored yogurt before serving.